19 December, 2009

...my first snow as a homeowner.

I will start this off by informing/reminding the audience that even though I'm an urban girl, I grew up in Bucks Co., PA. While it was actually named after William Penn's home, Buckinghamshire, it more appropriately describes all the freakin' deer.  I grew up in an area that was equally suburban and rural. And when it snowed, it snowed. It would take me 15 minutes just to get dressed to go shovel the driveway. And then another hour or more to help do it.

Suffice it to say, I know snow. So when I looked out the window this morning and realized that there was about 3-4 inches of snow already, and it hadn't stopped coming down, I thought the prudent thing to do would be to go out and shovel before it go too bad. (Note - I have a raging head cold at the moment, so finding the motivation to actually get off the couch and go outside was nothing short of a Christmas miracle.)

I got out all my snow gear and got dressed. Took my handy new shovel (thanks Mom!) and headed out to brave the elements.

Apparently I thought I was going to be shoveling the entire street during a blizzard.

Ten minutes later I was back inside.

This is the entire area that I'm responsible for keeping clear:


Was so tempted to move my car into that open spot.

I've shoveled more snow off my parents' front porch. It took me longer to get dressed than it did to shovel my sidewalk. So I shoveled my neighbor's steps. And then a part of my other neighbor's sidewalk. Then I came back in and had to remove all the layers.



Now I'm going to curl up on the couch with my Slanket and a hot beverage, Netflix some "Spooks," and not shovel again until tonight. At which point I will probably just throw on a coat and boots.

Oh man, I just heard someone start up a snowblower. *sigh*

1 comment:

  1. We shoveled too. Not exactly something I'd have thought I'd be doing today (since I should technically be mid-air between Dallas and Seoul), but hey, we're going with the flow. :)

    ReplyDelete